Government plans to set EV sales targets from 2024
The Government has revealed its Net Zero Strategy including requirements for a growing proportion of manufacturers’ sales to be EVs before the 2030 ban on new petrol and diesel cars is imposed
The Government has published a 12-point plan to cut carbon from road transport as part of its Net Zero Strategy.
Among the plans is a mandate to require manufacturers to ensure a growing proportion of vehicle sales are EVs, starting from 2024.
The Net Zero strategy aims to slash greenhouse gas emissions by 2050 and includes a 12-point transport plan that will:
- End the sale of new petrol and diesel cars and vans from 2030; from 2035, all new cars and vans must be zero emission at the tailpipe.
- Introduce a zero-emission vehicle mandate setting targets for a percentage of manufacturers’ new car and van sales to be zero emission each year from 2024.
- End the sale of all new, non-zero emission road vehicles by 2040, from motorcycles to buses and HGVs, subject to consultation.
- Ensure the UK’s charging infrastructure network is reliable, accessible, and meets the demands of all motorists.
- Commit £620 million to support the rollout of charging infrastructure and targeted plug-in vehicle grants. This is in addition to £1.9 billion announced last year.
- Build a zero-emission vehicle supply chain and support the automotive sector in making the transition.
- Ensure 25% of the government car fleet is ultra-low emission by the end of 2022, with the entire car and van fleet zero emission by 2027.
- Increase data sharing across transport providers to improve average road vehicle occupancy levels.
- Increase the use of low carbon fuels, including renewables.
- Invest more than £12 billion in local transport systems over the current Parliament.
- Invest £2 billion in cycling and walking, building thousands of miles of segregated cycle lanes and more low-traffic neighbourhoods with the aim that half of all journeys in towns and cities will be cycled or walked by 2030.
- Create the UK’s first zero emission transport city.
The publication of the Net Zero Strategy is the latest stage in the UK’s move away from the fossil fuel era.
Reflex Vehicle Hire is supporting the transition with an extensive ultra-low emission range of vehicles, including electric vehicles.
Our Reflex Renewable Drive initiative is putting fleet managers in the driving seat with ongoing tests of zero-emission cars and vans.
Models evaluated by customers include:
- Fiat 500e
- Ford Mustang Mach-E
- Ford Transit Custom PHEV
- Lexus UX 300e
- Maxus e Deliver 3
- Mazda MX-30
- Mercedes-Benz eVito
- Mercedes-Benz EQC
- Volkswagen Golf GTE
- Volkswagen ID.3
- Volkswagen ID.4
If you would like to request a vehicle under the Reflex Renewable Drive programme, contact one of our expert team members.